Within Sun, for the last 17+ years, anyone could initiate a "project"
at any time by simply sending a proposal email to a single internal
alias.  It required absolutely no prior approvals, no sponsorship,
and no endorsement.  (Though, while it is /always/ a good idea to
have your manager be aware of what you are doing, that is more of
an HR issue than a project approval one :-)

Even so, many considered even that amount of effort to be "too
difficult".

The only "downside" is that we have had to develop a set of "is
it dead yet?" heuristics to determine if a project is effectively
dead and not simply dormant or focused on internal prototyping or
otherwise still flying under the radar.  No big deal.

Even with between 500 and 900 projects being proposed every year,
the system isn't overloaded or inconvenienced in any way.

 -John

Alan Burlison wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Yes, that seems to be to cumbersome; I would prefer OGB not to be
involved in project creations as long as projects are started under
the wings of a community and the community is not disfunctional

In that case (if my reading of the OGB minutes is correct) Roland's ksh project would never have got off the ground.

I don't understand why a community is necessary for a project to exist, sorry.