Alan Burlison wrote:
> Eric Boutilier wrote:
>
>> Anyway, it's only just a concern at this point (re: "their acid
>> test"). I personally think things are still fine because, as I
>> mentioned in my first post, the large majority of membership (my
>> and some others' desires notwithstanding) has tacitly expressed
>> a desire to not hold a vote on the naming issue yet.
>
> You have absolutely zero evidence to support that assertion, yet you
> keep on making it.  In fact there is significant evidence to the contrary.
>
> You've exactly illustrated my earlier point:
>
>> The whole point of any voting mechanism is to gauge the opinion of
>> the electorate.  Without that you get into the farcical position we
>> see so often in the OpenSolaris 'community', where multiple small
>> subsets of the 'community' all simultaneously claim to speak for the
>> majority, with no evidence to support their claim.
>
> Personally I don't know what the opinion of the community is on this
> issue, mainly because the vast majority of the voting members choose to
> keep quiet.  All I see is a small number of voluble individuals stating
> and restating their opinions and claiming that they are the 'voice of
> the majority'.  A vote is how we gauge the collective opinion of the
> community, not statements from one individual or another.

Passing on opportunity (to indicate a vote was necessary), is another
way of saying what I'm trying to say. This post explains it better than
I do though:

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/advocacy-discuss/2007-October/001157.html

I should have also mentioned that the other reason I say things are
still fine is I now believe (see earlier in this thread) that the name
announcement is a tentative decision pending the outcome of the "Plocher
trademark policy initiative".

Eric