John Plocher wrote:
> Brian Gupta wrote:
>> In other words, Ian seems to have decided that democracy is a bad way
>> to run an open source project, and wants to install himself as
>> "benevolent dictator".
>
> OpenSource efforts are invariably meritocracies.
>
> Those that /do/, lead.
>
> Ian and the OpenSolaris Project are out there /doing/.  They
> chartered a Project to do this, found several CGs to endorse
> their vision, and have just delivered the first distro built
> by the community out of the community's source code.

I don't mind them /doing/. In fact, having just tried the LiveCD on a
recent laptop, I'm fairly impressed with their product. What I object to
is the fact that the *project* Indiana seems to have unilaterally taken
possession of the name OpenSolaris, and even the homepage of
opensolaris.org as if there weren't any other OpenSolaris distributions.

Menno
--
Menno Lageman - Sun Microsystems - http://blogs.sun.com/menno