Shawn Walker wrote:
> On 06/11/2007, Tim Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 6, 2007, at 4:05 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>>

>>> Putting /usr/gnu at the head of PATH causes incompatibilities to
>>> apply.
>>>
>> Failure to put /usr/gnu at the head of PATH will cause a huge class
>> of potential Solaris users to be confused and irritated and many of
>> them will walk away.
>>
>> The choice seems obvious to me.  -Tim
>>

> That seems a rather alarmist way of putting it. While I'm all for
> making things easier for users, that it is not the only solution
> available to us as I'm sure you are aware.

At the risk of getting sucked back into an argument I tried to make
almost a year ago (and lost)
I'll add my voice to those who think that Solaris should (while
providing the option to look and behave like as many other environments
as possible) keep it's own historical look and behaivor as much as
possible. It may not be huge, but don't alienate the users and
developers you already have.

/usr/gnu doesn't belong at the head of the path. Heck many GNU and other
utilities don't belong in /usr/bin.

When I run across situations or problems like this, I always look for
the most flexible solution. The solution that will leave the flexibility
and the decision to the users and the admins of the systems (and the
networks of systems - which I feel too often is forgotten)

I'd like to see something flexible like rewiriting /etc/profile and
/etc/login to look for ~/.unixtype (or any other implementation idea you
might have,) which could contain 'svr4', 'bsd', 'xpg', or 'gnu'. Adding
a pop-up GUI during the first login, like we already do for CDE vs.
GNOME ( and in the past OpenWin) would also be great.

I know Sun has it's reasons for avoiding this (I don't pretend to know
what they are well enough to relate them here - If the ARC cases are
public now search for Serendipitous discovery...  I think that was it.)
but I don't see why OpenSolaris can't be different (and better) in this
regard by offering the End User (not the Admin at install time) the
choice of environments in a way that works for users of all levels of
experience.

On the other discuss in this thread, while I understand not wanting to
put any other distribution in second place, I agree with those who are
saying that there needs to be one 'OpenSolaris' distribution that is
strong and focused. Without it there won't be one 'Community' there will
be as many communities as there are Distributions. But that's just my
2cents.

  -Kyle