>>> Putting /usr/gnu at the head of PATH causes incompatibilities
>> Failure to put /usr/gnu at the head of PATH will cause

I'm not at all sure that this change would actually affect me - or most
of y'all either.

Since our target growth "market" for OpenSolaris is users of linux systems
where gnutools are the defacto standard, then it seems clear that *they*
certainly won't care about being "incompatible with old Solaris or POSIX".
They are the ones who would find not having tar->gtar to be a bug.

The only people who will care are the old Solaris users who haven't yet
figured out how to set PATH= in their shell scripts and/or don't have
their own .profile/.login/.bashrc/.cshrc scripts.

Since I have my own .startup-scripts, and they explicitly set PATH,
I won't even notice that this change has happened.

[It would be nice if this choice was reflected in the new user
account setup dialog instead of being hardcoded by the installer,
but that is nit...]

   -John