> Shawn Walker wrote:
> >
> http://directorymanager.wordpress.com/2007/11/28/an-op
> en-letter-to-the-opends-community-and-to-sun-microsyst
> ems/
>
> You know, I'm wondering why you chose to write that
> subject line, Shawn.
> There are no middle managers here on these lists.
> There are only project
> managers who are directly involved in OpenSolaris and
> engineers of one
> sort or another trying to do a difficult job on both
> sides of the
> firewall. How do you expect us Sun employees to react
> to mail like this?
> Do you think we will all just pile on? Should we just
> ignore it? Do you
> think we know the inside story and are keeping it
> from you? We don't, by
> the way.
>
> Don't you guys realize that this is the single most
> effective way of
> decreasing your credibility while at the same time
> decreasing the
> participation of the very people you need to be
> interacting with? This
> is so disappointing.
>
> Jim
> --
> Jim Grisanzio http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris

Jim, it's not often that I disagree with your insights but on this I find
myself firmly in opposition. Let's be realistic here, Sun of late has been
acting like a benevolent dictator within this community. So many decisions have
been made with little to no consultation or involvement with the community.
There have been numerous times where Sun has either forced it's will upon the
community, kept the community in the dark or outright abandoned projects with
little to no communication. Sun has broken it's social contract in this and
other communities.

If you think that posts such as Shawn's are disappointing then i am truly
disappointed. Dissent is healthy - where would the world be without those who
bravely speak against injustice. Are you disappointed with Bonhoeffer,
Wilberforce or Gandhi?

Shawn is not sending this out because he wants Sun employees to feel lesser, he
is not trying to send this community down a spiral of chaos - what he is trying
to do is help this community realize and address it's faults. Particularly Sun
and the way it interacts with the community.

And as for the poor excuse that no middle managers read these forums - let's
just hope that the community kicks up enough of a stink that they do sit up and
listen.