> On Dec 2, 2007 7:40 AM, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > This is debatable ... Can you provide pros and cons
> > > for this from your
> > > point of view?
> >
> > For example, I have a package that delivers /.cshrc, /.login and
> > /.logout. Determining root's home directory via public interfaces is
> > unreliable, namely because such public interfaces aren't well defined. I
> > could look directly into /etc/passwd, but as "Indiana" clearly shows now,
> > there is no guarantee whatsoever, that home directory field will be at a
> > fixed position. I could also use `finger`, but there's no guarantee that the
> > output won't change, thereby breaking my regex parser for it. For crying out
> > loud, they broke the output of `uname -a`.

"getent passwd root" should be a little more reliable, this works if the
user is in ldap/nis.

> > And so what if there are a few /.*rc files laying around in /? How is
> > that a problem? But moving root's home account around does break customer's
> > software.

In our case, we have several public solaris 10 shell servers. We have been
changing the path of root, to /root so we have a secure place to put files
we don't want to give users access to (rsa keys, etc, before they are
installed). It's a lot cleaner than setting the umask, and safer than
remembering to check file permissions every time (not to mention cluttering
"/").

In the case that you're complaining about (just a few .rc files, whats the
problem?), it seems very unlikely that root's home directory would be used
for any application critical scripts anyway.

In the case where it is *too hard* to find root's home dir, making the bold
assumption of "/" would still work, as long as they were consistent, and
used absolute paths.

> > The promise of SunOS is that it would remain backward and forward
> > compatible; that is why environments that need to be super-stable and
> > super-reliable prefer it over any other operating system.

getent seems to work in all cases. As long as whatever custom scripts exist
on the system don't make bold assumptions about this, there shouldn't be  a
problem.