> I always change any Solaris systems I setup to use
> /root for root's
> home for this very reason.
>
> I like being confident that any files created when
> logged in as root
> will go to a relatively "secure place."

You should never be logged in as root directly, unless you are on the console,
in text mode.

That is sysadmin 101.

> Considering Solaris' rbac capabilities as well, I
> look for root to be
> extinct in the not too distant future.
>
> Roles / Profiles are a far better way to accomplish
> this.

I strongly disagree, for two reasons:

1. if the system engineering has done their job correctly, no interactive
logging in of any kind, by either the root or odrinary users should take place
on the system - ever

2. RBAC is present only on Solaris and therefore useless in homogenous
environments; sudo would have been a much better choice, especially because it
makes system administration consistent and homogenous.

I do not at all appreciate RBAC.

> The days of an all-powerful must end if we are to
> embrace security.

I disagree, and very strongly at that. A well engineered system will never have
either the root user or any other users logging into him interactively, and a
correctly secured build will have necessary mechanisms built in and configured
to begin with.

That is a clearly an architectural issue, not a security issue.

A desktop system will be a developer's system, and being a fascist on
developers is in my experience extremely counter-productive. Not to mention
that it kills morale, which is unacceptable.