On Dec 3, 2007 1:45 PM, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You should never be logged in as root directly, unless you are on the
> console, in text mode.
>
> That is sysadmin 101.

Yes, and it's dogma. There are plenty of situations where root login is the best
tool for the job.

> 2. RBAC is present only on Solaris and therefore useless in homogenous
> environments

That seems a weak argument against it.
In homogenous environments users can just  'alias sudo=pfexec'.
RBAC is  the sysadmins job problem, not the users, and and sudo is a
blunt instrument compared to RBAC.

Funny that you don't worry too much about homogenous environments when
it comes to
roots home directory or shell :)

> A well engineered system will never have either the root user or any other
> users logging into him interactively, and a correctly secured build will have
> necessary mechanisms built in and configured to begin with.

I'm not sure how that applies to e.g. my laptop, or why you are
worried about sudo vs. rbac when no-one is going
to login to your machines anyway?

> That is a clearly an architectural issue, not a security issue.
>
> A desktop system will be a developer's system, and being a fascist on
> developers is in my experience extremely counter-productive.
> Not to mention that it kills morale, which is unacceptable.

This seems to contradict your earlier statement.

--
Rasputnik :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
http://number9.hellooperator.net/