On Dec 3, 2007 4:11 PM, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry, but most shops wouldn't even know where to begin with ACLs, not to
> mention most shops don't even know they exist in UNIX. I happen to know
> about them and how to use them, but I'm a rare and dying breed these days.

This is why Sun offers kick ass courses where you can learn this stuff. ACLs
are handy, might take some time to get a long with them but once you do,
you love them. Basic ACLs were being discussed in.. dunno, Fundamentals for
Solaris 8 if i recall correctly.

> ZFS did break the traditional UNIX interfacing with UNIX utilities, as did
> SMF, and don't you think for one nanosecond that it doesn't bother me!

Why does it bother you exactly?

> But would it kill you guys to just once, admit you overcomplicated it and
> overengineered it? Just once? You screwed up with the RBAC implementation,
> just come out clean and admit it, and life goes on. Nobody will kill you for
> it, people make mistakes.

In my opinion they didn't screw up anything. They added some stuff that can
make your life possibly easier. If you don't know how to implement it or use
it in an intended way then they didn't screw up.. you just have to do some
research.

Patrick