> I would be happy to submit bug reports as Calum
> suggested above. I'm not one of those people who just
> want to complain - I'd like to help Sun improve the
> product so I can actually use it. Is there a URL for
> bug reports?
>
> If you can suggest anything that would get wireless
> or wired networking to work beyond what I've already
> tried, I'll give it a go. I am actually looking for a
> Solaris consultant in my town. I will pay some money
> to someone with expertise who might be able to help.
> I am a total newb but I've learned a bit about
> Solaris already. Its a nice contrast to OS X, where
> terminal commands are not necessary.

ObDisclaimer 1: I _do_not_ work for Sun!

Having said that, if you actually have $$ to spend, I gather that
there's support contracts available for OpenSolaris, at two different
levels; see
http://www.sun.com/service/opensolaris/index.jsp
(click on either "Get It Now" button for the price, then back up again
unless you know you wish to proceed)

While I haven't actually investigated, I gather that's for the OpenSolaris
2008.05
and successors, _not_ for SXCE (and also not for Solaris 10, although I would
certainly
expect you could get a support contract for that too, at some other link on
Sun's web
site, the location of which I leave as an exercise to the reader, since I don't
work for Sun!).

Now, that's not the same as a consultant actually being there in person and
walking
you through the steps (or taking care of getting it so it works for you), but
it's
certainly one more option (and if you're sure you'd stick with it for a full
year, not
a bad deal, IMO).

(note: the following is for the general audience at least as much as for the OP)

Now, what do I think that _really_ buys you?  Any purchase is in effect a
contract,
paying for goods or services as described by the seller, perhaps modified by
any applicable
laws about implicit terms and the like.  It obligates the seller to make a
good-faith effort
to deliver on what they offered.

By contrast, you may well get enough assistance here or elsewhere for free,
possibly
because Sun employees (and others!) want to improve OpenSolaris, or to encourage
the community to grow, or sometimes simply if it looks like an interesting
challenge.
However, nobody is _obligated_ to provide free support - they can't be (even if
they
could afford it, and _nobody_ can afford an open-ended obligation), there's no
contract.

(Incidentally, paying Sun, and quite possibly paying a community member that
would also
be qualified (in your judgement) as a consultant, might well help maintain the
availability
of future support, or result in improvements to OpenSolaris, or both; the
latter might also
happen with unpaid support.  But IMO that's only a motivation if you're in it
for the long run.)

Your second post suggests you understand the difference between paid and unpaid
support,
correcting the impression I'd mistakenly had of the tone of your first.  I do
understand
frustration though, and I too would prefer to avoid it; but absent some sort of
contract/commitment, I'd hesitate to _expect_ anyone to mitigate my
frustration, so IMO
it does help to ask with that mindset, as well as with lots of specifics (exact
text of
error messages, details of hardware, software version, problem, sequence of
events, etc;
just describe, don't interpret unless you're actually collaborating on a bug
fix yourself).

ObDisclaimer 2: I'm not a lawyer, and I suspect they'd describe the nature of a
contract
far more correctly, both in general and especially as to any specific
circumstances.

ObDisclaimer 3: I'm not a paid consultant myself either, nor do I presently
have any working
x86 hardware, let alone hardware like yours; so there's not much I could do
other than look
at code even if I wanted to (which I wouldn't rule out if I had more time and
already had the
right hardware to replicate the problem, not just take abstract (somewhat)
educated guesses).