> What happens to JavaFX?

Larry Ellison rarely, if ever, commented on any specific product of the
companies that he acquired.  JavaFX is probably the only exception.  The words
he used were that he encouraged OpenOffice.org developers to "write
OpenOffice.org libraries in JavaFX".

Many commentators (including at least a couple of bloggers from the old Sun)
interpreted his words as that the good ol' Larry wanting to rewrite OOo in
JavaFX and immediately laughed at that thought.  As a card carrying member of
Chairman Larry's fan club, I really think his words meant something more
focused and much simpler.

Microsoft generated $20 billion in profit in 2008 from selling and servicing
Microsoft Office.  This a very significant numbe--considering Microsoft "only"
made $22 billion profit for the whole year.  In comparison, the old Sun
probably took home no more than $20 dollars from OpenOffice (which includes
StarOffice).  Again, this comparison is very significant, considering that
OpenOffice is the ONLY alternative to Microsoft Office.

Strictly based on technical considerations, the main reason that OOo is not (or
cannot be) used by corporations, from my own experience, is that the macro
language in OOo (StarBasic) is no where near that of VirtualBasic.  As heavy
office suite users, we NEVER generate any document from scratch, but always
start with a template or running a macro.  The capabilities of OOo are, at
least AFAIC, not much different from those of Microsoft Office.  But the
inferiority of StarBasic compared to VB is what stopped OOo from being
considered by corporations (and from generating any profit).

Thus, if the OOo developers could make JavaFX an easy-to-program macro language
for OOo, allowing OOo to easily invoke the power of Java, the table, vis-a-vis
Microsoft Office, could begin to turn (& the pony hair might still be able to
keep his job).  I believe this is what Ellison meant, but I seem to be the only
crazy idiot with this thought.

Chairman Larry also mentioned netbooks (I knew the netbooks are doing very
well, but never in my wildest contemplation that its sales could reach $ 11.6B
in only its second full year).  Ellison never mentioned any specific OS, except
only stated that Android may not be the right OS for netbooks.  Well, if (and a
very big IF) OpenSolaris can be made to be (much) lighter and boot (much)
faster (e.g., making OpenSolaris primarily as a front end to run IPS and
JavaFX, and run OOo cloud), this thought may not be as stupid as it seems.