> From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Alasdair Lumsden
>
> > For anyone who cares to read the licensing agreement for the downloaded
>
> I am afraid I'm pretty sure you're living in denial.
>
> Unless I've completely misinterpreted this, Solaris 10 cannot be used
> in production without a support contract. So yes, you can use it for
>
> I'm completely happy (and would love to be) corrected here. But that's
> my unfortunate understanding.

Look, it doesn't really matter, does it?  Nobody's going to use sol10 in
production without support.  The idea of running a production server without
updates ...

That being said, the actual EULA for sol10 is sufficiently self
contradictory and/or ambiguous, that W Wayne is right.  If you intend to run
sol10 without support, you download it and run it, telling your boss "the
eula says it's free for internal use."  As long as you're not sufficiently
large to register on oracle's radar, you're home free.

If you *do* register on oracle's radar, then lawyers argue back and forth
for days on end ... "The license is for 90 day trial."  "No, it's for
unlimited internal use."  "No, that's only if we've granted you the
'internal use' entitlement, which we never issued."  "The eula says you may
obtain entitlement in electronic format if you download solaris."  and so
on.

The whole concept of "entitlement" is absolutely vague, and easy to
interpret in many different ways.  Interpret it however you like.  It only
matters if oracle disagrees with you and sues you for it.