Erik, looks like you've already said everything I was thinking of posting and
said it better.
Oracle is being a blinkered dinosaur, trying to hark back to the good old days
when the Unix mainframe was king. It's actually a risky business model, trying
to focus entirely on rich investment banks as the only customers, without
realising that they're only your customers because they are the last ones to
move into the 21st century and adopt anything new. Then try to grow that market
by offering Solaris 11 as something new, innovative and different.

This sentence made me laugh:
"We will continue to grow a vibrant developer and system administrator
community for Solaris."
Totally contradicted by everything else in that memo! How vibrant does this
community feel right now? How does killing OpenSolaris help grow a new
community of Solaris system administrators?
They also expect more ISVs to put more effort into targeting Solaris, but I
really can't see many ISVs caring about it any more. Most of the software we
use has either already EOF'd support for Solaris or will do in the next release
cycle, because it's just too low-volume to be worth supporting. Oracle is
forgetting that ISVs had been benefiting from when Solaris 10 was free, as a
platform on which to sell their software to the masses. Why should they now
care about selling just a handful of licenses to a few companies that happen to
be paying Oracle a shed load of money for a premium platform? ISVs only get
money per license sold, for which the only thing that matters is the number of
Solaris installations, not how expensive they were or how much money Oracle
made from selling "software, hardware complete".