On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:45:10PM -0700, Petros Koutoupis wrote:
> >>I didn't think Oracle had what it takes to really be about open source,
> >>this proves that.
>
> As much as I am disappointed with the end result of this whole
> OpenSolaris drama, I still cannot find myself to agree with the above
> excerpt. Oracle works heavily with Linux. In fact they are sponsoring
> Chris Mason's development of the GPL'd Btrfs file system. They also
> developed and GPL'd the OCFS. This is on top of other lesser known
> management tools which all are focused toward their Red Hat based
> Unbreakable Linux distribution (and in some cases outside of that).
>
> While all of this never defined them as an open source company, they
> seem to spend a lot of time and money contributing back to the
> community. What the real reason(s) for not wanting to work with
> OpenSolaris are....this answer we may never figure out.

Oracle is a big company... what one group does or is able to do may not
be the same as what another group.

Oracle has essentially full control of Solaris, whereas with Linux
being out of their control (yet widely used by their customers) they
need to play within the rules set up there -- which means upstream
contribution and open development...

Ray