Jonathan Edwards <j...@eliaden.net> wrote:

> but how do we liberate the source from the CDDL?

Did you ever read that the Linux folks plan to liberate their sources from the
restrictive GPL?

If you compare OSS licenses, you will find that the Apache-2.0 license is the
best choice for an academic license and that the CDDL is the best choice for a
Copyleft license. So what?

> that still seems like it could be a bit of a problem
> if the original license steward (Sun => Oracle) decides
> to change the terms of the license, and/or if the
> larger community does not trust or approve of the
> actions taken by the license steward ..

Oracle cannot withdraw the license for already published code.
I am not sure whether you did just read some missinformation from bad sources.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)