> From: Ray Arachelian [mailto:r...@arachelian.com]
>
> The point was that
> _additions_ to IllumOS should not necessarily be licensed under a
> license that allows them to be improved and then closed by third
> parties.  So that, IF they make their way into Solaris proper, Oracle
> (or hell, Microsoft) would be required to provide source code for said
> improvements.  Nothing more than that.

I think you're saying, you believe, that since Oracle is the copyright
holder on some code, and then somebody contributes to it, you think Oracle
is then the copyright holder of the contributions too.  I'd like to know if
I misunderstand what you're saying, or why you believe that?

When something open-source has contributions, it becomes portions copyright
the original copyright holder, and portions copyright the contributor.  In
CDDL, this is spelled out as:
(pasted from CDDL to here):
"Original Software" means the Source Code and Executable form of computer
software code that is originally released under this License.
"Contributor Version" means the combination of the Original Software, prior
Modifications used by a Contributor (if any), and the Modifications made by
that particular Contributor.

I don't see any reason at all to believe contributions are in any way
assigned to oracle, or able to become closed by oracle.