Am Donnerstag, den 17.01.2008, 21:11 +0000 schrieb peter nikolic:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008, Christian Jäger wrote:
> > It is perfectly normal that an indexing tool is especially active when
> > building an initial index. Whoever doesn't have the patience to wait
> Beagle should be an OPTION not a preset thing .
>
> I would think very few people using Opensuse on the desktop either at work or
> at home do not need Beagle  and prefere a faster more responsive machine to
> one that is faffing around building an unwanted index of some form
> .
Again, I strongly doubt that; few people are properly organized (I'm
not), otherwise Google Desktop wouldn't be the success it is.

If responsiveness and speed are the only qualities we are looking for in
a distribution, then we should throw out Tomboy first because it slows
down startup of GNOME considerably - oh yeah; and GNOME main-menu.

Don't misunderstand me, I love Tomboy - but please understand that your
own usage of a computer might not be the typical case. And, as said,
there are features in openSUSE which have a much more negative impact on
machine responsiveness than Beagle.

Ultimately you have to decide whether you want a feature-oriented
distribution or a slim and speedy distribution. SUSE has always tended
to be feature-oriented, and that is why I am using it.

Greets,
Chris