On Friday 31 December 2010 13:39:20 jdd wrote:
> Le 31/12/2010 13:33, Helen a écrit :
> > Sometimes a 'simpler' language can be irritating and even vague -
> > there's no doubt about what 'laptop' means (we can always google it)
> > but 'a computer with screen and keyboard included' could maybe mean
> > one of those all-in-ones with a keyboard included in the package, like
> > an iMac.
> >
> > The important thing is to be consistent and clear. When talking to a
> > specific audience, add explanations when appropriate.
>
> yes but we don't make the consistence for we are only a small niche. I
> don't say we have to change all our vocabulary, of course the total
> newbie is not our target, but may be we can gain having *some* doc
> using a different langage.
>
> let alone having a firefox only live cd, or openoffice only one. I use
> this some (quite a lot) years ago for school use. A computer one use.
> Could be an entry point for us
>
> jdd

I think the kind of user that refers to a laptop as a "computer that comes
with screen and keyboard" probably wouldn't be able to use openSUSE unless
he/she is willing to learn a lot and/or assisted by a more experienced user.

Usually people like that don't even MAKE computer choices themselves, they
have someone more knowledgable do that for them. I think we should target the
decision makers: the 'nerd in the family' type of people.

And this is consistent with the strategy as it was last time it was discussed
- focus openSUSE on the more technology-adept (or interested) user.

That doesn't mean we have to make things more complicated than needed, but
really, how many people at the typical conference we go to need us to explain
what an operating system is? Adjusting our marketing materials to complete
newbies will make it less usueful for the people who actually use openSUSE
right now or are likely use it.

Of course we could create a special set of folders, leaflets etc for
'newbies', which we can give away at certain events. However I'd rather first
have the 'normal' folders which we don't even have yet.

You can find one targeting potential contributors here:
http://piratepad.net/xKoBE4vmSM

And one targeting potential users here:
http://piratepad.net/d8xWTUwHq3

Feel free to add and improve there - we need to get those finished at some
point so we can print a bunch.

Cheers,
Jos