Le 03/01/2011 00:58, Jos Poortvliet a écrit :

> In the interest of "DO, not TALK" I created an Etherpad page to write a "I am
> new to Linux" page on the openSUSE homepage. I have created a skeleton and
> copy-pasted info from wikipedia and the FSF page. Someone needs to check if
> we
> can copy-paste from the FSF site ;-)
>
> http://ietherpad.com/HGnVPSDjFD
>
> And help is welcome!

I'm pretty disabled here, writing from a notebook, but I beg your
explanations are way too technical for this target audience.

I'm not that fluent in basic non technical english, so not the better
to give examples, but this should be something like:

"
Hello :-). If you come here, you are at least a bit familiar with
internet! So far so good! We will try to exlain what we are and what
we do.

If you understand what are "programs", "applications", "computers",
you will probably find this page too basical and you may read the
other parts of hour wiki. If you are not sure all this mean, read ahead.

First some vocabulary:

"Computers".

A computer is the hardware you are using right now to read this text.
It have mostly a screen (you see this on the screen), a keyboard (you
see AZERTY or QWERTY on it) and a mouse (the strange little box you
have the hand on right now :-).

"Applications"

A computer is a hardware unable to do anything by itself. A computer
is as dumb as a car without gaz. An "application", also called "a
program, a "software" is what gives life to the computer. To go to
Internet and read this page, you are using a "web browser". Most
applications have a nickname, often a basic name like "Windows",
"Word", "Firefox" or "Thunderbird"

"Operating System"

An operating system is a special application. that allow the computer
to switch on and give some sight of activity. Most of the time a
computer is sold with an operating system. You can see on the market
mostly three king of operating system: Windows (the most common),
Apple MacOS (On Apple computers) and Linux on computer of any brand,
usually owned by computer addicts. openSUSE is a Linux variant.

Is openSUSE for you?

openSUSE is very easy to use as soon as it's installed on your
computer. However, if you are reading this with interest, you may not
be able to install it yourself. This don't mean you can't use
openSUSE, because, how wonderfull it is! you can use openSUSE without
installing it on your computer!!

Ask for help

If you are reading this, may be it's a proof you already know how to
browse the web or some friend of yours send you a link to us. This
friend may be able to help you, or you may be curious enough to do the
tedious job of learning to do this yourself. You may also have nearby
a "Linux User Group" that can help you. See in your neiborhood.

If you are already lost in the explanations, may be use sometime the
web and comeback later when you got a bit more experience.

Uses demo support

You can try openSUSE very easily if you can get your hand on a "demo
live dvd". We have "Ambassadors" that spread the world with such demo
dvd, here is the list (URL?). But if you know how to download a dvd
and burn it to the medium, you can make one yourself
"

to be continued (by someone else :-)

jdd