On Wednesday 02 February 2011 21:10:55 Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:
<snip>
> This is a proposal that actually has been brought up before in some
> marketing discussions.  I strongly believe we need to change the name
> openSUSE Build Service to Open Build Service because from a marketing
> perspective it is a lot easier to sell OBS.  OBS is a tool that is not
> limited to openSUSE and thus it should not have a name that limits
> public perception in that way.   Open Build Service (powered by the
> openSUSE Project) has a better chance at larger adoption.
>
> Those of us who discussed it decided to hold off a few months at the
> time because we didn't want to rock the boat and there were other things
> happening.  But now I believe the momentum is right for the name change.
> We're really starting to build up on the fact that "openSUSE" is not a
> distribution but a Project, and that you can participate and benefit
> from the Project without even using the distro.  This is what we're
> really here for, to create a community that can collaborate across
> borders and provide services that do not limit you to the use of the
> distribution itself.

Yup! At the conference I got several people interested in OBS by stating that
very clearly: "I don't care if you use Fedora or Ubuntu, OBS is interesting
for you because it builds packages for all distro's!" "oh, really, does it?
It's not just for openSUSE?" "No, OBS is cross-distribution. MeeGo uses it, so
does VLC to build packages for all distro's"

Having OBS being Open Build Service makes this argument easier... I actually
(as I said) started saying that after having the discussion a few times and
indeed it works. Whoever is not convinced of that: stand at a booth for a day
at FOSDEM or SCALE and explain OBS to people. Try it with "open build service"
and "openSUSE build service" and see the difference...