On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2011 21:10:55 Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:
> <snip>
>> This is a proposal that actually has been brought up before in some
>> marketing discussions.  I strongly believe we need to change the name
>> openSUSE Build Service to Open Build Service because from a marketing
>> perspective it is a lot easier to sell OBS.  OBS is a tool that is not
>> limited to openSUSE and thus it should not have a name that limits
>> public perception in that way.   Open Build Service (powered by the
>> openSUSE Project) has a better chance at larger adoption.
>>
>> Those of us who discussed it decided to hold off a few months at the
>> time because we didn't want to rock the boat and there were other things
>> happening.  But now I believe the momentum is right for the name change.
>> We're really starting to build up on the fact that "openSUSE" is not a
>> distribution but a Project, and that you can participate and benefit
>> from the Project without even using the distro.  This is what we're
>> really here for, to create a community that can collaborate across
>> borders and provide services that do not limit you to the use of the
>> distribution itself.
>
> Yup! At the conference I got several people interested in OBS by stating that
> very clearly: "I don't care if you use Fedora or Ubuntu, OBS is interesting
> for you because it builds packages for all distro's!" "oh, really, does it?
> It's not just for openSUSE?" "No, OBS is cross-distribution. MeeGo uses it, so
> does VLC to build packages for all distro's"

== a small technical glitch

If you really want OBS to attract cross platform developers of small
packages, you need to allow a package to have more control of its
build targets.

I'll use my trivial open2300 package as an example again.  In my home
project, I control the repos, so I can build for any of the supported
targets.

But I submitted it to the Hardware devel project a couple months ago.
That project only builds for openSUSE and SLE.

As far as I know, there is nothing I can do about that.  So
non-openSUSE users that might come looking for it at OBS have to
search home directories if they want to find it.

I was actually pretty disappointed to realize that, and it made OBS
feel much less open to me.

Greg