Kevin Dupuy wrote:
On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 18:10 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Stevens wrote:
Today Kevin Dupuy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From what I'm reading right now, I'm presuming either you have no
documents, or they are all on your desktop. If you actually did work,
you would love Beagle. I do.
I've been using Beagle since it's SUSE introduction in 2005 (9.3), and
it is a really nice way to find any documents, emails, chats, web
history, music, podcasts, videos, etc. that is really easy to find
things.

Furthermore, as I mentioned on the "other" thread, I'm trying to figure
out why Beagle takes up so much CPU and memory in some people's
computers
ALSO:

Today "Peter Van Lone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
it's desktop search ... what's the big mystery? Have you been living
under a rock for the last 2 or 3 years?

If you don't want/need desktop search, then fine. Many do. Beagle
seems to be a quite useful example of a category of service that many
many millions of people use.
OK, a little clarification is needed. I neither live under a rock nor
do I idle away my time. Nor can I fathom a need for Beagle
when it is such a resource hog.
I am reminded of a friend who has been buying and using personal
computers since the old twin 5 1/4" drive TRS-80 just so he could
keep track of his crap. Nowdays he is no better and he uses some
kind of file indexing scheme on his Windows box. I used to spend time there helping him with projects; after a day or two, I had all his stuff catalogued in my head and could find it for him faster than he
could look it up. Ditto with my files that are strung out over 3 disk
drives and in tons of email. For me, Beagle is a terrible waste; for
him and others like him, it is probably a Godsend. YMMV.

I similarly have no problem finding any file I create
which may be years since I last touched it.

The key is ORDERLY, LOGICAL creation and naming of
both files and directory the trees in both my home
directory and other "storage areas" (such as /local
for stuff I download and want to keep from version
to version but doesn't really belong in $HOME).

Fred

By the way, FYI Kevin: my system is:
* Intel 2.4GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, Intel chipset
* Suse 10.2, kernel 2.6.18, KDE 3.5.5
* kmail, 4800 files, 730MB
* no Beagle

OK, here's the issue: you're not "most people". I'm not most people. All
of us subscribed to this mailing list are probably not most people. And
most people don't name their files orderly, and put them in logical
places. I've seen people who write something about a project about the
Civil War and name it "project.doc". I would name it "Civil War
Project.odt", and that person put the file in their My Pictures folder
because that's where the Save dialog box is open to. They are the people
who would benefit most from Beagle, and that's also about 90% of the
computing population, so if openSUSE wants to reach that 90%, it a good
idea to have Beagle installed by default and turned on.

Catering to idiots only encourages them to continue
their idiotic behavior.