On Thursday 20 December 2007 08:57:50 pm Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Kevin Dupuy wrote:
> >
> > OK, here's the issue: you're not "most people". I'm not most people. All
> > of us subscribed to this mailing list are probably not most people. And
> > most people don't name their files orderly, and put them in logical
> > places. I've seen people who write something about a project about the
> > Civil War and name it "project.doc". I would name it "Civil War
> > Project.odt", and that person put the file in their My Pictures folder
> > because that's where the Save dialog box is open to. They are the people
> > who would benefit most from Beagle, and that's also about 90% of the
> > computing population, so if openSUSE wants to reach that 90%, it a good
> > idea to have Beagle installed by default and turned on.
>
> Catering to idiots only encourages them to continue
> their idiotic behavior.

Insulting 90% of people doesn't help to make your case.

You have to understand that not everyone has the same goals in life as you,
and also that different goals doesn't mean they are wrong. Would you buy
vegetables from merchant that is expert in computing, but not so good with
vegetables? I don't think so. On the other hand you can't deny that merchant
needs computer for bookkeeping tasks.

There is much more users that see computer only as a help in their activities,
but they are not close to idea to become computer administrators, even in the
smallest amount, to be able to use the box. They consider box good if it is
help, and they are annoyed if they can do their task faster by hand that with
a computer, so they are not asking for high performace either.

That is what marketeers understood long time ago and that is the reason to
have so many poor performing programs (slow and buggy). They are just better
than doing job by hand.

Just take time and observe inexperienced users.
There will be many actions that you will laugh, like pressing backspace and
deleting all until they come to misstyped letter and then retyping all again.

I have seen that, and as guy was decision maker in my case I left him alone.
It was easy to show respect and point better way, but some people take that
as a insult, not help. They look at help as an attempt to make them feel bad,
and than they adjust their actions and outcome is less than optimal for
helper.

--
Regards,
Rajko