On Monday 07 January 2008 02:52:10 am jdd wrote:
> >> Besides, the
> >> subject says OT, so a reasonably decent filter should flush
> >> any OT message for those who detest OT posts.
>
> couldn't [OT] subject be filtered out to OT list??

I care about OT mails, but not because of me.

I can do that locally. I can send them in oblivion, ignore them, read them,
but how that will help the one that is not used to zillion mails in his
inbox. The other way to make list server sort the properly is a bit too much
to ask, because it has to be intelligent enough to understand mail to sort
them properly. We are not there, yet.

Imagine guy just started to use Linux and still using web mail, or have no
idea about threading (it is not obvious, you have to know that is exists,
first). He made trough subscription process (which  is not common, BTW),
posted his problem and now is looking trough not threaded 100 emails + his
regular mail, to find one message that is answer to his. It is frustrating.

This list is created as help to new users, very unskilled, very frustrated
with some other problem that they can't solve, and we as helpfull people
don't want to add to their problems. That is the reason to have offtopic
list.

The subscription to offtopic list, and any other, should not be a problem for
regular visitors here.

Anybody that can't see a problem with OT is the one has only himself in mind
(do we call that egoism), and can't even come on idea that there others not
so skilled that deserve help.

--
Regards,
Rajko