Hi Michael,
I don't think that every term must and can be self-explanatory. We develop
our dictionary through the development of explicitly defined terms. That is
what we use Terminology section in our drafts for. And, AFAICS, it is
normal to expect that anyone interested in the field, in the particular
application or protocol, read all the relevant documents to learn about the
principles as well as the dictionary used.

Regards,
Greg