hi all,

to widen this discussion....

Personally, I'm against certification as the SOLE means of selection,
maybe its because  of our over emphasis of A's in exams, that produced
'qualified' but incompetent personnel. Also perhaps of the many MCSE's
out there, who are trained to click buttons... and setup servers with
security holes.

On the other hand, i can understand employers and HR departments
needs, at least in using certification as the 1st level filtering
process.

However a knowledgeable interviewer will very quickly sort out how
much the interviewee knows about Linux or programming. Both of these
are practical skills, and experience counts, especially when they have
encountered problems, solved them ad learnt from it. Unfortunately,
for organizations that are going into FLOSS for the first time, may
not have the expertise to conduct interviews for FLOSS personal.

Perhaps we can borrow some techniques form another hands-on skilled
based profession, airline pilots. Pilots are required to keep a log
book, especially during their 'training' period, where they record the
no. hours flown, the routes that they flew and problems that they may
have encountered. Perhaps Linux sysadmins should do the same, keep a
log of the servers they setup, distro, disk partitions & file system
setup, software installed, backup systems used etc...   If Linux
professional were to do this, then its very easy for a prospective
employer  to asses his capabilities.

A possible solution here could be for more experienced OSDC members to
provide consultancy to employers to help select candidates. They will
need to discuss with and understand the employers needs and even come
out with a strategy for migrating and deploying FLOSS. I'm sure there
are enough experienced personal within OSDC ...

Also, as this is a hands on skill, one of the procedures for a job
assessment may be to give a test, e.g. to actually setup a server, to
a given specification - ie: RAID, with user quotas, setting up user
accounts and privileges, Apache with virtual hosts, a LAMP stack
etc...

Perhaps OSDC can play a role by defining the format for such a Log
Book, or set up specifications for a practical test like setting up a
server as in above example. Then OSDC will begin to play a more
meaningful and respectable role, almost like a professional body,
which other national IT organizations in Malaysia have not done ...

A lot of ideas here, not easy to do/implement, but would help move the
adoption of OSS forward, more than just a bunch of certificates.

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap