Serge,

One other item that hasn't been explicitly mentioned yet is pixel packing.  You
want to make sure that the graphics card does as little with the source image
as possible to get it into the OpenGL pipeline.  Make sure that your on-disk
pixel format is something that is on the fast path.  Storing data as 24-bit RGB
is not a good choice as it is not aligned.  BGRA is your best bet as it is
about the fastest pixel format on nvidia hardware.

Chuck