On 04/03/2013 10:10 AM, Alistair Baxter wrote:
You do not need Cygwin installed or active to build NDK code for Android any
more - it was a prerequisite for old NDKs, and it is still needed if you want
to use Google's Eclipse plug in for C/C++ code debugging, though.

 From our internal documentation page where Nathan assembled the instructions
(he's on holiday right now), the extra bit that you need is probably this:

Well, that is contrary to the published Google documentation, unfortunately.

I have managed to build code using just GNU Make and the ndk_build without Cygwin too, but it is unsupported and you are likely to encounter all kinds of bugs - most of the scripts in NDK assume Unix/Linux system and bash being available. I have spent almost a week fighting with a problem that ended up being caused by the version of bash from MinGW (or Git, not sure now) that is patched to actually mangle the path names, pre-pending its own installation directory. That was of course causing ndk_build and other scripts to fail in random ways. That's why Google is asking for Cygwin - it is a "known-good" quantity.

I really don't recommend doing this unless you have a lot of time to waste debugging the convoluted NDK build system.

Regards,

Jan