I guess you /should/ be able to get OTRS working on XAMPP. However,
the default XAMPP from the Apache Friends website does not seem to
include Perl so you should make sure you install the add-on:
[http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#644]
This does not incorporate all of the needed Perl modules that are
required. You can run the otrs.checkModules script from a console
window. Change to the bin directory of OTRS and execute 'perl
otrs.checkModules'.

You can probably install any missing OTRS modules via cpan.
[http://doc.otrs.org/2.3/en/html/x414.html]

Please note that XAMPP is targeted at developers. You should not be
using it in production systems. So you could use it to perform a quick
evaluation, but if you want to use it a bit more than that you should
look into another solution.
See [http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html] under 'Philosophy'.
And if you want to do just an evaluation of OTRS you can also consider
using a pre-made VMWare image such as this:
[http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/591]

I do not really agree with Lars as to you should not use Windows for
OTRS. In my opinion, Windows is a supported platform by OTRS so you
will be able to succesfully deploy OTRS on it. However, it is true
that OTRS originated on Linux. Probably, most of the OTRS deployments
will be running on some sort of linux, but I do not have any data on
that. Some parts of the documentation are based on the assumption that
you are running on Linux so you might run into minor issues with that.
Other than that, you will be able to run OTRS on Windows just fine.

The main point for platform choice for OTRS is the skills available in
your organisation. If you are a Microsoft-only shop, you should just
go ahead and use Windows, if you have a considerable amount of your
business running on Linux or the like, use that.

If you are the only person in a Microsoft shop with Linux skills, go
with Windows (otherwise, if you leave or get hit by a truck or... the
organisation will be stuck with a solution which they do not
understand and which they will want to get rid of!)
--
Michiel Beijen
Software Consultant