Hi Les,

I have used a few (Source safe / TFS / Borland Starteam / Subversion) in
my dealings as a contractor, and have to say I am very happy with TFS.

I guess it all depends on what you are after - Just source control or
the full ALM?

At the office we use TFS 2008 to get bug tracking, reports etc, but for
my personal stuff I am using TFS2010 basic on a Windows home server just
for source control.

Install was a breeze and it just works! I can access everything remotely
and It feels like a first class citizen in VS.

I wouldn't consider going back myself.

That said though, we do have issues with TFS at the office with a team
of devs - but almost always it's the developer's actions that cause the
problems.

Things like changing files outside VS (so TFS doesn't know its changed),
or "overwriting" the server version instead of merging, leaving files
exclusively locked, and it has taken a bit of time to educate on good
"Project structure for source control" and the branching and merging
strategies, but these are going to be issues with any system.

It does help to have the power tools and I also use Team foundation
sidekicks to manage the office install.

So is it worth the time? - Yes

Alastair