The first thing that I do when I install VS2010 on a new PC these days is
install the Color Theme Editor extension and leach all of the saturation
out of the IDE colors (making them all shades of grey). I then turn off all
of the tool bars. If you're going to do something enough that hunting in
the menus is painful, learn the shortcuts for it. Both of these things
minimize the noise in the IDE and let me concentrate on the thing that's
important: the code. Couple that with R# for navigation and I can close
most of the docked windows as well.

Having said that, I'm not convinced on the new look. I haven't really spent
a bunch of time with it so it might grow on me or I may just turn most of
it off and not notice.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Scott Barnes <scott.bar...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not onboard with Ribbon for VS :)
>
> The Ribbon is such a cliche now.
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Scott Barnes
> http://www.riagenic.com
>

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Stephen Price
> <step...@littlevoices.com>wrote:
>
>> OMG I forgot about the ribbon. I want a ribbon.
>>
>> *runs*
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM, David Rhys Jones <djones...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I read Scott's blog, and then went back to the Microsoft blog to take a
>>> second look.
>>>
>>> *Things that I use a lot that are missing.*
>>>
>>> Solution Explorer, Properties and Macro Explorer icons in the tool-bar.
>>>

>>> *Toolbar changes.*
>>>
>>> [image: Inline image 1]
>>>
>>> *Comment / Uncomment .  *
>>> I use CTRL+K C  / CTRL+K U ,  so no problem there.
>>>
>>> *New Project. *
>>> Never use it from there, always do it from the solution explorer.
>>>
>>> *File Open.*
>>> Always click this Icon, it's the same in Word, Excel, Sql Server
>>> Management basically all windows applications.
>>> not looking for the biggest splodge of yellow on the screen will be
>>> annoying
>>>
>>> *Save*
>>> Ctrl+S  or CTRL+SHIFT+S
>>>
>>> *Find In Files, *
>>> Always use, because it's next to the quick find, if quick find doesn't
>>> work I click the little icon next to it and try again. except. in 2011,
>>> it's completely in the wrong place.
>>>
>>> *Bookmarks*
>>> Ctrl + K + K, Ctrl + K + N , CTRL + K + P
>>>

>>> Overall, it won't effect me too much, except when I do support,
>>> (searching in files, and opening source files).
>>>
>>> *
>>> A quick glance at the Solution Explorer window*
>>>
>>> [image: Inline image 2]
>>>
>>> There are Six icons there,  Back, Forward, Home?, Cascade Windows?,
>>> synchronize views?, Find in Files (white) ? and Settings?
>>>
>>> In VSxxxx  you have Properties, Show Hidden Files, Refresh,, view code,
>>> (view designer), Class Diagram.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how those match up in the new Visual studio, but switching
>>> between versions is going to be a major pain in the arse.
>>> *
>>> Properties Box*
>>> The 2010 version looks much better than the 2011 version, the tabs are
>>> well separated and the highlighted tab is clear that it's a part of the
>>> form on the right. The 2011 version looks disassociated.
>>>
>>> On my machine, (XP 32bit) I have.
>>>
>>> VS2005
>>> VS2008