Bill,
   I don't know what part of America you come from but
I've traveled quite a bit both inside and outside the
USA.  No one here lives in anything approaching third
world poverty.  There may be some recent immigrants,
mostly illegal living very poorly but most 'poor'
people in the US own their own cars have air
conditioning and enough food to become overweight.
Poor people in most of the world have a hard time
getting enough to eat, (you don't see many fat people
in the poor sections of San Palo or just about any
lower income area in Africa or South America.  Someone
making $20,000 to $40,000 a year, (more than 85% of
the US population if I remember correctly), is rich
beyond the wildest dreams of the typical human being
living outside North America, Western Europe and
Japan.  People in those circumstances can at least
contemplate buying an expensive modern camera.