Pål Jensen writes:

> Then you have the potential of doing much better. All (at least most) wildy
> sucessful products (camera included) have been original designs different from
> the competition.

 Like Apple? :)  (for the record, I really like the look of their stuff but I can't
even afford to upgrade my PC yet, let alone buy a new G4)

> By making eg. a Nikon/Canon clone, the only thing you really
> achieve is preventing Pentax users to buy a Nikon/Canon. This can of course be
> good enough excuse. I believe this was what pretty much happen with the Z-1p;
> too similar to a Minolta or a Canon to really make an impact outside the Pentax
> camp.

 If your products only emulate the competition then you end up competing on
price alone, which the customers love but by the time the sales chain takes
their slices of the pie, the manufacturer gets screwed.  Pentax can't afford to
do this in the SLR market because their volumes are lower than N/C: unless
they can win new customers with a good, unique product they'll just be
shooting themselves in the foot.

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E.
email [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield
go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Visit the PUG at
http://pug.komkon.org.