On 03.3.6 8:46 PM, "Bruce Rubenstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I didn't say it was a knock off and it doesn't matter if it's similar or
> not. It doesn't matter if it has the best interface know to humanity,
> because people don't start with user interfaces, or any other technical
> detail. A digital SLR, for the general population, is just an expensive
> electronic gadget. They want to buy from a company that they know makes
> "good" electronic gadgets, or a camera brand that has such good name
> recognition that they already know it. Pentax is neither. Pentad's name
> recognition starts with Spotmatic and ends with K1000, with nothing in
> between. If Pentax's DSLR sales are just dependent on long time Pentax
> users then they'll sell about as many as Minolta did of their Maxxum 9's.

This is merely your usual view/perception of Pentax, which includes a great
deal of your own speculation (and perverse remarks).  In other words, the
story as told by a person who does not wish to admit that pentax would have
a great deal of chance to succeed in spite of his past position.  Nothing
more than that.  Please don't inflict your distorted view on us as if they
are the facts, as they are not.
In the country like Japan, the digital world is in somewhat of a chaos (and
reshuffled) in that so many mfrs are flooding the market with the constant
release of new products in such a fast turn around time.  Brand power is
still there but not as much as it used to be when the "camera makers" were
dominating the camera market.  People became knowledgeable and they do
examine the spec etc in quite a detail.  Digital fever is accelerated with
the proliferation of broadband connections.  And this is why the North
American market suddenly became the most important one for the digicam
makers.  By the sheer number of potential users of digicam, the U.S. market
where the broadband connection is widely available is where the digital war
would be fought and this is why many mfrs announce their new products
"first" in the U.S.A. even before they do so in the home market.
You seem to try to describe the DSLR market something totally different from
other digicam (P&S) market,  Why?  C/N/P/M do not think so.  In fact, they
are feeling the heat because the market is being reshuffled.  Wise consumers
do not choose the digicam, especially DSLRs by the brand name alone any
more.
We can argue all day that the investment in the lenses will also determine
which brand consumers will buy, which is true but people who have any
significant number of lenses are enthusiasts, the selected few.  But the
vast majority of SLR users have very little number of lenses and they are
much easier to change the system and they change the system all the time.
DSLR at least at this stage is an expensive investment and it is true that
for that very reason, people might play safe and go for the established
brand, but by and large, what's happening in the real world, as far as I can
observe from the media report etc, people are not rushing to C/N only
because it is either C or N product.   They are much smarter than that.  And
no one brand is particularly superior any more.
Also, you have to know that it won't be too long before you start seeing
Sony DSLR with Zeiss lenses and Panasonic DSLR with Leica lenses etc, and
C/N/P know that.
The market is being reshuffled at least to a certain extent.  Old school
thoughts don't apply here any more.

Cheers,

Ken