I don't think the situation is quite as bad for Pentax as you make it
sound, but at any rate I more or less agree with what you're saying.

Like I said before, I don't think the *ist D is going to be a runaway
success for Pentax, and when I get excited about it I'm not excited about
it specifically.  What I *am* excited about is that Pentax is finally
getting a presence in the DSLR market.  They may not sell a lot of *ist
D's, and they may not sell a lot of the next one or two DSLR's they make,
but, by the time that DSLR's are priced low enough that ordinary consumers
won't mind buying one instead of a film SLR, Pentax will be in a good
position to do what they do best: sell good quality cameras with excellent
lenses for less money than Canon and Nikon do.  Sure, pros will probably
still use C/N, but I suspect that Pentax will have a very strong, if not
dominating, position in the entry-level DSLR market, which should make
them some decent coin... hopefully enough to subsidize some cool film
equipment.

Even if their marketing continues to be crap, most entry-level SLR buying
is done pretty much spur-of-the-moment, over the counter, and the
salesperson has a lot of control over which camera the customer winds up
taking.  In Canada, the MZ-series cameras have sold very well because of
their low prices and good spiffs for salespeople.

chris