Knarf,

Quit yer bitching <g>. You should try getting 4x5 B&W developed in Charlotte. $5 a negative, and they grossly under develop them for you. And here in Boone you can not have them done for love nor money.

On the other hand, I have finally (today) light-proofed my bathroom and set up the darkroom in it, so now I can do it at home. I still need a print washer, and some ventilation but will make do in the mean time. Tomorrow I plan to mix up some chemicals and make some test prints. <G>

BTW for anyone who is interested: I have been trying to find something cheap and big enough to cover the bathroom window. Then the other day I had an "ah-ha" experience and realized that the sashs were actually quite small and it was easy to find some cardboard laying around big enough to cover each sash separately. I taped the cardboard up with some black duct tape. Won't last long because of moisture but I will hopefully find something more permanent by then.

--

frank theriault wrote:

Malcolm,

Quit yer bitching. You've got a *istD! You can shoot for free now.

<vbg>

Seriously, I know what you mean when you say developing ain't cheap.

Last winter, when I was having (ahem) "cash flow problems", I couldn't afford to bring in many of my exposed films to be developed. Now that things are slightly more comfortable, I've been able to double up on what I bring in, a new one with an old one. Still have at least 1/2 dozen from last year. It's kind of fun, getting lots of surprises - "Hey, I forgot I took that one! Not a bad shot!"

But, that's sort of my point. You can still find HP5+ for around $3.50 Cdn a roll. You can still shoot if you're poor, and get it developed later. Or, if I chose to, I could go to any number of photo stores to get cheap print film, processing included, for under $10Cdn.

I must say, I've really enjoyed all the answers to this thread (thanks for starting it, Kevin!). It would be interesting to compile it - I bet lots of tyros could benefit from the simplicity and usefulness of the exercise.

cheers,
frank

From: "Malcolm Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well, I've done just that! 5 rolls sent off for development last night. Development isn't as cheap though <g>.

Malcolm

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."