Tanya, i am a nature photographer and i consider 20% hit rate quite
acceptable for filling in stock. very few of my rejects are outright bad
photos. they tend to be the ones of the kind where something went wrong and
i left the camera in the wrong setting or such. the 80% that doesn't make it
more or less because i decided they were only OK and not as good as i
wanted. most of my non-photographer friends would like to be able to shoot
as well as my rejects, but i know that because i am selling to a stock
photography market, my standards have to be higher. it has to be more than
good exposure, it has to be perfect exposure, so when i shoot film, i
bracket 1/2 stop on Provia and 1/3 stop on Velvia. sharpness has to be very
high most of the time, but luckily i shoot f11 and and smaller most of the
time anyway. exceptions of course when i choose selective focus or out of
focus entirely. some of the differences are trivial differences in
composition but one feels better than the others in the set. it boils down
for me to shooting the best i can all the time and choosing not to accept
more than 20% pretty much no matter how good the rejects are. out of this
20%, i choose about 1/4 to print and put into my portfolio and fine art
display.

aiming to make every shot count is needless stress. allowing the B&G to see
the shots at the same time as you do make it more stressful. someone bumps
you and you take a picture of your foot. do they really need to see that or
hear your explanation? even if you are giving them everything, prints and
negatives, what if the processing screws up? you had better know first and
not at the same time as they do.

Herb....