There are far too many photographers chasing too few customers. (Thanks to
automation - it was all downhill after the ME was widely available.)

In the old days, the pro got involved with the booking of the formal
portraits at the time photos were needed for the newspaper announcement (the
papers had standards and wouldn't accept snapshots, usually wanting glossy
B&W 8x10's). So things naturally progressed to the wedding photography being
done by the studio (who had probably also taken the baptismal photos of the
bride).

Now, automatic point and shoots are good enough for folks who are glad to
dump the expense of the studio from their lives. Mall photographer shots for
special occasions are more that adequate for folks - relatives will supply
the rest of the snaps for the albums. Many weddings around here only have a
pro videographer in attendance, because VHS tapes are the desired item to
send out of town relatives these days - or they email digital snaps. And 8
mm camcorders have seriously eroded that business. And they *do* haggle with
the florist, dressmakers, caterers, etc.

The last pro photographer I know from the 70's is running a framing shop,
because that's when you make the money - and you don't have to lug 50 lbs of
Mamiya gear around to do it.

------
Robert