Unless I missed it in this thread somewhere, I've seen no one comment on the
staging of the ceremony afterwards to compensate for either the lack of
flash during or no shooting at all during the ceremony.  I've had pretty
good success and complete cooperation from the clergy in this matter thus
far, doing the actual ceremony shots in this manner.  I realize it fails to
capture the moment of the ceremony, but is much better then getting nothing
at all, or grossly blurred, off colored pictures.  I see the biggest problem
as being unprepared for what your going to encounter on that day.  I like to
go to the church about the same time of day as the proposed wedding and
burning a roll of film while experimenting with filters and the like and
maybe even an extra roll of tungsten balanced film as well.  I don't need to
get prints at this point, since scanning is enough to tell me how they are
going to come out.  I've even had clients purchase some of these preshots if
they like the churches architecture.  There is of course no guarantee that
the ambient lighting will be the same on any given day, but I feel I
definitely have an advantage this way.  It also helps me to set up all the
must get shots in my head ahead of time.  The clergies have then had an
opportunity to tell me their wish list and as a whole been much better to
work with when I took this extra step.  When your getting paid to do a shoot
it is your responsibility to do everything within your power to make this
job a complete success.

Dave