----- Original Message -----
From: "J. C. O'Connell"
Subject: RE: Used DSLR prices

> Since all DSLRs so far have had a short shelf life
> due to technical innovations, could someone please
> explain to me why build quality is important?

Because its nicer to use something that is well built than something that
isn't.

I wouldn't want to own my friend's Rebel D because it feels like it is a
cheap peice of crap.

Build quality should also mean better pictures, as the equipment should be
better <mechanically> calibrated, and able to hold that calibration for a
longer time in the real world.
A cheaply built camera won't take very many bumps before it goes out of
adjustment.
And, some of us actually intend to hold onto equipment for several
generations past the shelf life of the product.

For myself, there are a few things that Pentax can do to improve the DSLR.
If they do make a camera that specs out well enough that I think it is worth
opening my wallet for, then my present digital SLR will become a back up
camera.
At that point, it is nice to know that my back up is a well built camera
that I can depend on, in the event that my other camera fails.

When I was shooting weddings, my front line camera was a K-1000, but I
always had my LX in the bag in case the K-1000 failed.

William Robb