From: Steve Desjardins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 1:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Used DSLR prices

But I don't really want to shoot faster, so this is a moot point for me.
 As an example, the Nikon D2H doesn't tempt me at all, although I think
the D1X is neat.  I also suspect that the Baby D won't be built quite as
well as the *ist D.  I actually think the final real street price of the
*istD ($1350) is a realistic one.  Unless something really neat happens
(like the wheelie granny scenario) I suspect I won't be replacing this
camera for at least 5 years.  If they had a really cheap one I might buy
it as a backup.  And that very statement goes to show what a bad
influence you people have been on me . . .

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
(540) 458-8873
FAX: (540) 458-8878
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 01/13/04 01:13PM >>>
>
> It will be interesting to see if APS DSLRs ever move up to 8 or more
> megapixels. I don't know that the increase in pixel count on the
same
> size sensor would give enough improvement in image quality to be
worth
> the additional storage space (larger buffer in camera, more and
bigger
> CF cards, greater use of hard drive and CD-ROM space). I don't think
it
> would be for me.

But those are exactly the areas which do get cheaper over time,
rapidly.

Two years ago even a 1GB CF card or Microdrive was very expensive, and
the 4GB drives hadn't been released.  A 250GB hard drive (and a DVD
writer) would have cost more than my entire desktop system.

In another year or so CF card size will have increased by another
factor
of 4 (at constant price), hard drives will be bigger, and in-camera
buffers will be larger.  The in-camera processor will be faster, too.
That 8 (or, more likely, 10) MP camera will buffer more images, and
process them faster, than the *ist-D does today.