Why should build quality *not* be important?  The "shelf life," as you call it,
by which I presume you mean "useful life," is as long as the build quality
allows it to be.  Simply because there's something out there that is considered
more modern technology doesn't mean that an existing camera has outlived its
usefulness.

The *ist-D will continue to produce images of like quality for as long as it
continues to function.  Better built cameras take more abuse and continue to
function longer.
Simple, really.