No 'ergo' about it.

Even if you accept Herb's claim that the number of people interested
in learning is falling (rather than just being swamped by the increase
in numbers of people without much motivation) there's still no proof
of a causal relationship - just a correlation.
Perhaps people got dumber (or less interested) for other reasons, but
instead of giving up photography entirely they just leave the camera
on automatic.

In the absence of proper double-blind studies all we have is people
forcing their own interpretation on questionable statistics - soapbox
oratory rather than hard science.