From: Keith Whaley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 2:32 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: istDs - what a great camera!

J. C. O'Connell wrote:

I guess Keith just doesn't understand the reality
of pentax not fully supporting the K mount without cause.
It is a first in their history and goes against
everything they always stood for in supporting
legacy products when possible. They certainly could
have fully supported K/M very easily and havent.

"...[V]ery easily?" How do you know they could have?
Isn't it even possible that their design engineers looked at the
possibility and veto'd it, for some reason they didn't choose to reveal to the
general public?
Don't you suppose there could have been one or more reasons for the exclusion that are not obvious to you?
It's entirely possible it was a higher-up management decision, and it
didn't need a lot of justification. Big boss says do it, you do it. But which
ever one it might have been, we really don't know, and until we do, all else is supposition.
Typical of human nature, we choose to assign nefarious, perverse reasons
for the decision. Smacks of paranoia...

I don't think they're trying to tick off all their old customers. But,
they do have a company to run, don't they. Decisions need to be made, some of

which may not be well-accepted by the miniscule M-42 crowd or the
non-auto K-mount folks.

All that is supposition, too. But, if you're going to make supposition
the order of the day, you'll have to broaden the blame, and assign some more

weight to pure short- and long-term business decisions. Most of which we
are simply not privy to...

keith

This isnt a MIGHT HAVE, they have done this.
I would not put anything past them after this.
JCO