All Pentax lenses starting with the "A" series have been designed so that moving the stopdown lever a precise linear distance changes the f-stop one stop, so cameras designed to use those lenses can set the aperture that way. K and M lenses do not have calibrated linear movement so used a feedback lever to tell the camera body what aperture the lens was set to. The coupling for that lever has been left out of the *ist series cameras. That is why A and later lenses work fine, but they need a work around to use the meter with K and M lenses.

As far as I know the only recent body to have that feedback lever coupling is the top of the line MZ-S which fact in itself tells you how Pentax is thinking about this.

--

Antonio wrote:

Now I am getting a little confused. So there must be a lever on the ist for
it to set the apeture on the lens, correct?

A.