I purchased a Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 macro lens three or four years ago. It had
visible fungus on the outer circumference of an interior element, but I paid very
little for the lens and the optical 1:1 adapter that goes with it. I had it
disassembled and cleaned at Oakland Photographic Repair in Madison Heights, Michigan.
It has been perfect ever since. The repairman at Oakland told me that extremely
serious fungus can sometimes damage the coatings, but if its cleaned in time the
repair can be complete and permanent. He goes to great lengths to sterilize ever part
of the lens to make sure than no living fungus remains. I think the repair was $90,
but it's a valuable lens.
Paul