Hi,

Bob W wrote:
Yes. I had a Leica lens with fungus which I sent away for inspection
by some Geordie lab technician - Mike Wilson, I think his name is <g>.
He shook his head, tut-tutted a little, and said something beginning "I'm
afraid it's bad news, Sir...".

I dropped the lens in the bin and let the garbologists take it away. I
didn't want it in the house with thousands of £s worth of other lenses.

Someone had spent quite some time cleaning it previously to me looking at it but the fungus had damaged the coatings on some elements. It was still repairable but only if it had sentimental value. The cost would have been considerably more than its monetary value. It might even have been a "compilation" lens.