Hi Frank,
Everyone is correct here. Shel is right that zoning each exposure and compensating in development can maximize the results. But Caveman is right in that you can't use a true zone exposure system when you're dealing with a roll of 36 different exposures. Something that Shel mentioned in passing has worked for me. That is, you overexpose by about one stop and underdevelop by about 20%. I have achieved very nice results using that techniqe, even when exposures on a roll vary considerably. This works great with TMax 400 exposed at ISO 200 and developed for 11 minutes at 68 degrees F in D-76 1:1. If you shoot this film rated at 200 and take it to a lab, just tell them to cut back on development time by 20%. Hopefully, they'll be intelligent enough to comprehend that. Another alternative is to get a small stainless steel tank and a reel and develop your own film. Then take it to a lab for printing.

In respect to the zone system, I have found that I can apply some of the technology even with roll film. I just consider what elements are most important to me and make sure that they fall somewhere between zone 3 and zone 7. Or in other words, two stops under or two stops over. that way you'll have them. However, if you have something in zone 2 that you want to feature and something in zone 9, it just ain't going to happen. You won't get that many stops of latitude with any film that I know of, regardless of development time or methodology.

Your photo, by the way, could be enhanced quite a bit with the shadows and highlights tool in PS CS. If I can find it again (your photo that is), I'll give it a try. By the way, I found it a good shot. However, the cars in the background troubled me more than the exposure. But that's just me. In any case, you're doing a lot of great work. You have a good eye and good instincts. Both are much more important than technical know how.

Paul