----- Original Message -----
From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> You look but you do not see ... tis a shame you are so jaded and
cynical.

Ok... maybe I didn't make it clear that it was this particular photo
that failed to induce any feelings? Did I really come across as a
complete cynic in all questions related to poverty?

> She's smiling, there's direct eye contact, and she's not the least
bit
> "grumpy" with my presence.

This an obvious mistake on my part.

> Your comments are worthless since you've made
> them based on unwarranted assumptions and lack of observation.  In
> addition, apart from being totally mistaken about the photograph,
you're
> attempting to point a negative finger at me personally.  Well, I
won't take
> it quietly like I did with the last pic I put up.

I would really like to know what I'm accusing Shel of here...

> My comments were not to evoke sympathy, but to show a similarity
between
> two extreme segments of the population.  Both can enjoy a pleasant
morning
> breakfast in bed regardless of social and economic class or their
physical
> situation.  It's sad you only perceive the negative.

I don't get it... Is the photo posted to show this person's pleasure?

> To judge someone and their life as you've done is just a load of
crap.

How, exactly, am I passing judgement on anything but the photo?!?

> Consider yourself fortunate that you don't have the problems that
put this
> woman on the sidewalk that morning.  Consider that you're not
mentally ill,
> that you have some form of socialized medicine to help you when you
need
> attention, that you may have family or friends which she may not
have, and
> you have other resources, both financial and social, to help you
should you
> have the problems that this woman has.

Excuse me, but this is exactly the kind of normative patronising I
don't like when posted to PDML. For one simple reason; it has nothing
to do with the photograph. Whose problem is it? Shel's or mine?

> It is easy to look down on someone, but, perhaps more difficult to
show
> empathy and understanding until you've experienced some of what
they've
> experienced.  Clearly you have not, or, if you have, you have a
short
> memory.

Whoa... Am I the only one making assumptions today?

> Thanks for the scanning tip.

Pleasure!
I'll make sure to look carefully at facial expressions hereafter.

Jostein

> Shel

photographer's